Thursday, July 28, 2011

Gen M's Multitasking Obsession

"A weakness of all human beings is trying to do too many things at once."
~Henry Ford

I was so excited to read a couple of articles about the dangers of modern technology! While I believe that technology can be useful in the classroom, I also see the current and future generations obsessed with texting, Facebook, and email, so it was refreshing to read about the not-so-pretty side of modern technology.

In my opinion, we have become too distracted by technology. It's not enough anymore to just make a phone call; now our cell phones need to be able to surf the Internet, text, and play games while we talk to someone. We no longer are able to give one person our complete attention. We have to divide our attention among different people and tasks.


While Gen M's behavior of dividing our attention and multitasking has become common in today's society, I still find it incredibly annoying and frustrating. I have a friend that texts other friends or updates Facebook while we our hanging out, and it always makes me feel like I'm boring or not interesting enough. It has become so common to do multitask in public situations, and I wonder how this will fly in the professional setting. How will bosses respond to their employees playing around on a computer while they are trying to talk to them? Apparently like this...


And because this video connects back to our discussion on gaming, is it really OK for the gaming industry to send the message that it's alright to not listen to your boss?

While modern technology has given people powerful new communication tools, it apparently can do nothing to alter the fact that many people have nothing useful to say."
~Leo Gomes

1 comment:

  1. I liked the comic in your thing for two reasons - 1 is shows the problem, and 2 is shows another problem that we don't talk about - Parental responsibility. Just as much as we can complain about teenagers and their technology, there is also responsibility for parents to teach their children about responsible and appropriate technology use. I think sometimes parents are too soft cause they are trying to be their kids friends and not parents, but I am sure that is a hard balancing act as well.

    ReplyDelete