Saturday, July 30, 2011

Reflections on Technology

"I've got a new idea for an App, it's called 'Go Outside.'"
~Tom Griswold

Our discussions this summer have been very eyeopening to me as both a student and a future teacher. I've always been able to see both the good and bad side of technology, but that what "good" and "bad" really means has expanded over the past six weeks. I now see how technology can be used productively in the classroom without it interfering with other work and thought processes, but I also have come to realize that as a teacher, what goes on outside the classroom is almost entirely out of my control. Here's what I mean:


It's almost scary how hooked kids are on technology. And I'm not saying that I'm not one of them. I text, check Facebook, listen to music, and send emails as often as almost anyone my age, but when I know it's time to focus on an important task, I'm able to put all of those other things out of my mind. As I said in class on Friday, my phone is always on silent (unless I'm expecting an important call). This is partially because I really don't like talking on the phone (if it's important, that person can leave me a message and I'll call him back when I have time), but it's also because I don't want to hear the constant ring or vibrate of my phone every time I get a text message. When I feel I need to, I'll check my phone for any messages. So don't be offended if I don't respond to you five seconds later; you're just not my number one priority right now.

The question was asked about how technology is changing older generations. Let me attempt to answer that from my own experiences, because I think it depends on the person. My mom, who never really tried to stay up-to-date with modern technology, now loves playing games on the computer and always asks me "Why do you never answer your phone?" On the other side of things, my dad, who at one time had to have the latest software as soon as it came out, is now perfectly content with what he has until it practically dies. Oh, and he is also one of the few remaining people in the United States without a cell phone, which he absolutely refuses to buy.


I love Lauren Fardig's use of Facebook chat where she sets up a time one night a week when her students can contact her and ask her questions about homework or projects. I think this is a great way to stay connected with students at home. I know when I was in high school, I would come across a question in my homework that I didn't understand, and I would struggle for an hour trying to make heads or tails of it. And even then, half the time I would interpret it incorrectly and get the wrong answer. The only thing I wonder about connecting with students after school hours, especially through the Internet, is if a student  who was angry with his teacher could accuse that teacher of inappropriate language or behavior. Is there a way to make Facebook a safe environment for the teacher-student relationship?

I'm still confused about how exactly I will want to incorporate technology into my future classroom, but I think I'm headed in the right direction in understanding how students today use modern technology and how it can be used effectively for student learning. And most importantly, I believe that as a teacher, I need to inspire my students through the use of technology.

"The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires."
~William Arthur Ward

8 comments:

  1. You bring up a good point about the possibility of false accusations regarding Facebook chat. Is there a way for Facebook to save the chat transcript? That way you always have something to refer back to. Although can't the same problem occur in a regular school environment? If a student really wants to accuse a teacher of something, s/he can lie about a one-on-one conversation as well.

    I wonder if we're more skeptical of technology as a whole class than other years because of cyberbullying becoming the New Terrible Thing Kids Are Doing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you are worried about Facebook repercussions, you could also try another option ... perhaps adopting Moodle (we heard y'all and are working on this for fall), Edmodo.com, or Twiddla.com (which a team of MACers discovered and used for office hours last year). When you start thinking about your November webinar, you could choose to explore a tool for office hours. Until then, enjoy your month off!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I also have come to realize that as a teacher, what goes on outside the classroom is almost entirely out of my control."

    Excellent point, Caitlin!! That we (educators) have no control. Parents struggle with this concept, as well. Learning as interconnection with environment (Dewey's notions) lends itself to this idea, as students learn by means of technology outside the classroom, which is, as you said, out of our realm of "control." Control, perhaps, is an illusion...

    ~Mindy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought Lauren's idea for facebook chat was a really good one, too. I was also really interested about the whole use of cell-phone issues she talked about (as I said in my own blog).

    I also hate talking on the phone, but I am one of those people who is still hopelessly addicted to my cell. I generally only answer call a phone call if it is from one of two people. But I text like it's my job, so I always have my phone close by. I think it's interesting, though, to think about your view on phones in the context of your dad's refusal to get one, which brings up an interesting generation-gap issue. I think in a lot of ways, just as much as what generation we are part of, how we are raised has a lot to do with how we view technology. My parents didn't let us watch a lot of t.v. when we were kids and made us play outside, we didn't have video games, and I didn't get a cell phone until I went to college. Now that I have a daughter, I plan on having many of the same rules for her--which will probably make her hate me, especially in the digital age. But my point is that my views on technology are, I think, quite different from many of my peers, and that is largely due to my parents' influence.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Reading your post, Caitlin, and the interesting conversation that ensued leads me to think that it could be really valuable to your students to simply be able to talk about some of these things. I have my doubts about whether actual conversations about these topics occur all that often. Thinking intentionally about what makes a space more conducive for learning, and what kinds of rules WE want to establish for our classroom, and working some rules/norms that everyone buys into...
    I think that there's reason to feel that this sort of conversation could, for a variety of reasons, be time very well spent.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. [Note to above: That's because it started off with "Charles said...

    Charles"

    and well, I just didn't like that aesthetically]

    Excellent post Caitlin. Your observation and expressions here do us all a fine service by reminding us that with the good must the come bad and vice versa, it all just depends on your attitude and how you go about applying it. We, as teachers can embrace technology, and we should, because it’s powerful and its here to stay whether anyone likes it or not. But in doing so, as you, and the video (it’s cool how you throw these into your blog mix – do you think a day will ever come when a technology-challenged guy like myself could do something similar?) pointed out, a need to keep it in perspective and balance is imperative. Otherwise we’ll never see the sun!, and well, that just can’t be good.

    Oh and hey, you need not worry, if ever I call you on your cell phone and you don’t answer, I promise I will not be offended – a little hurt maybe yeah, but not offended.

    Charles

    PS Great Griswald quote too – says it all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. First of all...I liked that video, but who has a myspace anymore? And how about that girl's remote-less tube tv? It's funny how quickly things become outdated now. Funny things aside however, I thought the video brought up a good point that you kind of touched on. It's important for parents to be involved in their students' use of technology, and it's important for there to be communication between parents and teachers about what technology is being used in class. As you said, the "older generations" are quite varied in their familiarity with technology, so we'll probably have students with parents who still think the internet and computers are just for games. It will be important for us to let the teachers know what technology our students can and need to use for homework, and just as important for the parents to monitor their students' use of that technology.

    ReplyDelete